We love butter chicken so much, so it’s nice to be able to make a big batch and freeze some for a quick dinner the following week. I love making stew-y things that are really easy to reheat. It’s also really nice that all you really need to complete this meal is some rice, and bonus if you have some pita or naan (like trader joes frozen naan! So good!). This is definetly a comfort meal, the chicken is a little rich, but soooo good. This is one of my favorite things to make lately. Enjoy :)
Ingredients: Directions: ** For a smooth sauce: Blend sauce mixture from step #7 in blender until smooth. Pour sauce back into skillet and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Stir chicken back into skillet, from step 9 and continue from remaining recipe directions.
Indian Butter Chicken (Chicken Makhani)
Serves 3 to 4
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
3 teaspoons cumin, divided
2 1/2 teaspoons coriander, divided
3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1 shallot, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons minced ginger
2 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons chile powder
1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
3/4 cup heavy cream (or 3/4 cup plain yogurt)
salt and pepper to taste
chopped cilantro, garnish
1. Place chicken thigh pieces in a mixing bowl, add 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin, 1 teaspoon coriander, a sprinkle of salt, and some cracked black pepper and toss together until chicken is well coated.
2. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 1/2 tablespoons butter.
3. Add chicken and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
5. Add remaining butter to skillet. Add shallot, garlic and ginger and sauté 3 to 4 minutes.
6. Add remaining spices and continue to sauté for an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
7. Stir tomato puree into skillet and lightly season with salt and pepper.
8. Lower heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes.
9. Stir chicken back into skillet, season with salt and pepper and continue to simmer for about 10 minutes.
10. Stir cream or yogurt into chicken mixture and simmer for an additional 3 to 4 minutes or until sauce is thick (enough to thoroughly coat chicken) and creamy. Adjust seasonings.
11. Top with chopped cilantro and serve over basmati rice, with a side of grilled pita bread.
** For a smooth sauce: Blend sauce mixture from step #7 in blender until smooth. Pour sauce back into skillet and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Stir chicken back into skillet, from step 9 and continue from remaining recipe directions.