Hi! Hope everyone had a good weekend. Today we have a fun new recipe for you, our Falafel Burgers! If you want to even make these a little more healthy you can do them in a lettuce wrap, and they would be so good. We are also including a recipe for quick pickled red onions because they are so easy and yummy on this falafel burger. This is also perfect for meatless Mondays :) Enjoy guys!
quick roasted garlic aioli:
1 head roasted garlic cloves, mashed to a paste
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground ginger
salt and pepper to taste
quick pickled red onions:
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
pinch red pepper flakes
2 cups dry chick peas
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 yellow onion, chopped
1/2 bunch curly parsley
1/2 bunch cilantro
1 tablespoon cumin
2 tablespoons oat flour (or all purpose flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
4 burger buns
thinly sliced cucumbers
1. roasted garlic aioli: Place all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk together. Cover and set aside.
2. falafel patties: Place the dry beans in a mixing bowl and fill with enough water to completely submerge the beans. Allow beans to soak overnight (at least 12 hours). Drain and set aside.
3. Place garlic, onion, parsley, and cilantro into a food processor and pulse 4 to 5 times. Add chick peas followed by the remaining ingredients and process until finely ground and the mixture can hold together. Transfer to a mixing bowl, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. Once the mixture has chilled, divide it into 4 equal portions and create 4 patties. Place onto a parchment lined baking sheet and refrigerate for another 30 minutes.
5. Fill a saucepan with 2 inches of oil, once the oil is hot, carefully add 1 to 2 patties at a time and fry for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Drain onto a paper towel, lightly season with salt and pepper and repeat until all patties have been fried.
6. quick pickled red onion: Pour sugar and salt into the vinegar and whisk together until sugar and salt dissolves. Add remaining ingredients, stir, cover and set aside. Allow red onions to ‘pickle’ for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour.
7. To assemble: Cut each bun crosswise and toast. Spread the aioli onto each bun and top with a falafel patty. Top patty with sliced cucumbers and pickled red onions, and the aioli smeared bun tops and serve immediately.