Did you know that according to wikipedia girl scouts are the ones who invented S’mores? Then you probably also know that once a year the girl scouts sell a bunch of cookies made of deliciousness (my fav is the samoas). So, how did they get to be so awesome at making up sweet recipes? What in the GD hell are they doing out in the wilderness that enlightens them to such a degree that they can come up with things like S’mores? I wanna drink that kool aid.
More cake recipes we love:
Hungry for more?
Devil’s Food cake
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ⅔ cup cake flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cup low fat buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup strong brewed coffee
- ⅔ cup semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1 ½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
marshmallow meringue frosting
- 4 egg whites
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ (4.4 ounce) Hershey bars, broken into 24 pieces
- 3 graham crackers, cut into 24 pieces
Recipe instruction visual controls:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place all the ingredients for the cupcake batter into a large mixing bowl and whisk together until fully combined.
- Line a cupcake tin with liners and fill each about ½ way full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick come out clean when inserted into the center.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Place the egg whites and cream of tartar in an electric stand mixer fixed with a whisk attachment.
- Beat the egg whites on medium-high speed until light and frothy.
- Begin adding the sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, until fully incorporated.
- Add the corn syrup and vanilla and beat until the mixture has become glossy and fluffy and stiff peaks form, about 8 minutes. (if you think the mixture looks glossy but soupy, keep beating!)
- Scoop the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a round tip and pipe over the cooled cupcakes.
- *Note: If you don’t want to beat the frosting for a long time, you can shorten the whipping time by dissolving the sugar and lightly whipped egg whites over a double boiler before adding the mixture to a stand mixer.