Hi Guys! Today we have these crazy-good crunchy ground beef and cheesy tacos. We made these somewhat “trashy” tacos in honor of Jess of How Sweet Eats and a little virtual baby shower a bunch of us are throwing for her today! Yay! We don’t actually know Jess, but when we got an email from Bev of Bev Cooks we just couldn’t say no, because we love Bev and her quirky and creative personality. We also love it when people within communities come together to celebrate something exciting and fun, like a new baby on the way!
We’re celebrating today with some of our favorite kinds of tacos. Some old school, crunchy ground beef tacos that we made even more tasty with home-fried taco shells and an extra cheesy double cheddar sauce! Think taco bell meets hole in the wall taqueria, but not gross, instead just insanely delicious and easy to make. You can simplify this recipe even more by buying hard shell taco shells instead of making your own. These are perfect for taco tuesday (or anytime, really).
More taco recipes we like:
We have a couple of options for homemade tortillas and taco shells. For this recipe we love our hard and puffy taco shells. They are so easy to make, and are just so delicious. We also have a recipe for homemade corn tortillas!
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Crunchy Ground Beef and Cheesy Tacos
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon chile powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups whole milk
- 4 ounces grated sharp cheddar
- 2 ounces grated white cheddar
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 6 (5 inch) crunchy taco shells
- 1 ½ cups loosely packed shredded lettuce
- 2 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Pour oil into a skillet and place over medium-high heat.
- Add beef and sauté, while breaking up into small pieces. Cook beef for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir tomato paste, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, onion powder, chile powder, cumin, and black pepper into the ground beef and stir until fully incorporated and beef has cooked though. Low heat to medium-low and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cheese sauce: Melt butter into a small saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk together. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes. Whisk milk into the mixture and continue to whisk until no lumps remain and mixture begins to thicken. Whisk cheeses into the mixture, one at a time, allowing cheese to melt completely before adding more. Stir in the remaining sauce ingredients and stir until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Assemble: Fill taco shells with ground beef, followed by cheese sauce, lettuce and tomatoes. Serve immediately.