Hi Guys! Today we have some quick and easy apple-cinnamon pancakes with the most decadent of syrup….a brown sugar-buttermilk syrup. I feel almost wrong for calling this syrup as it should really be called ‘buttermilk caramel-awesome sauce’, but for breakfast purposes we’re just going to call it syrup..seems much more appropriate.
Anyway, these pancakes could be the perfect thing to wake up to New Years Day! After a long night of drinking, aren’t you supposed to carb load anyway, to soak up all the booze? So along with being super indulgent and delicious these pancakes are kind of like a hangover cure…kind of. If you don’t booze it up on New Years Eve, I think it’s still okay to scarf a few dozen of these down…I actually highly encourage it.
If you’re going the healthy resolution route this New Years, don’t worry: 1) You still have a couple days to go to town on dish 2) We have a healthy “detox-ish” drink coming ‘atcha a little later this week! Enjoy! xx, Jenny
More pancake recipes that are awesome:
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Apple Cinnamon Pancakes with Brown Sugar Buttermilk Syrup
brown sugar buttermilk syrup
- ¾ cup unsalted butter ( 1 ½ sticks), cut into small pieces
- 1 ½ cups light brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons superfine sugar granulated is fine
- 2 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons superfine sugar granulated is fine
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ to 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup melted butter, cooled
- 2 small green apples, peeled, cored and finely diced
- butter for frying pancakes
- For buttermilk syrup: Melt butter in medium pot (should be a tall pot). Once butter has melted, add both sugars and water to the pot and stir until all sugar is well coated, then stir in buttermilk.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and allow to boil for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove mixture from heat and add baking soda (be very careful as the mixture will bubble up). Once baking soda has been added, stir the mixture for 1 to 2 minutes until it begins to settle. Stir in vanilla and salt until fully incorporated. Pour syrup into a small carafe and set aside until ready to use.
- For pancakes: Place flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt into a mixing bowl and whisk together. Add buttermilk, eggs and butter and stir with fork until mixture has just come together and no dry pockets remain. Fold in apples until just combined.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter onto a griddle, in a cast iron pan or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Pour ⅓ cup batter onto the buttered pan and allow pancakes to cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Once you see the edges begin to cook and air bubbles popping on the surface, flip pancakes and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Transfer finished pancakes onto a baking sheet (you can keep finished pancakes in a warm [200˚F] oven while the remaining pancakes cook) and repeat until all the batter has been used.
- Serve pancakes with the brown sugar, buttermilk syrup and more butter, if desired.
Did you make this recipe? We want to see!
tag @SpoonForkBacon and #SpoonForkBacon on Instagram
I may be missing something but I do not see buttermilk listed as an ingredient for the brown sugar buttermilk syrup. Could you please let me know how much to add to the syrup?
It’s one cup and it’s in the recipe now…thanks for catching that!
They’re even good if you accidentally do three apples!
These look fantastic. Happy new year to you.
Tess @ Tips on Life and Love
These do look like the perfect thing to wake up to New Years Day! What sort of maple syrup recipes would you recommend?
Rachel @ Twin Tough
Yum!!! I will be making these this morning!
Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today
Pancakes will be perfect for 1st Jan 2014 breakfast :D
Joey @ 80 breakfasts
The perfect thing for a new year’s morning! Happy 2014 to you!
Laura (Tutti Dolci)
Gorgeous pancakes, love the brown sugar buttermilk syrup!
Averie @ Averie Cooks
I love apple cinnamon pancakes but what I really want is a gallon of Brown Sugar Buttermilk Syrup! pinned & happy 2014!
Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar
Dang, these look perfect!