Have you ever wanted a cinnamon roll but then wanted that delicious fluffy and warm roll to be savory? Ok, well we have that for you today. We have these BBQ Pulled Pork Rolls. They are made the same way as cinnamon rolls except instead of cinnamon we used pulled pork because pulled pork is delicious, and when concepting this recipe and thinking of delicious savory things we can stuff in there, pulled pork got first place. We drizzled some more BBQ sauce on top and added some chives and peanuts to the top for flavor and also because it makes these savory rolls extra cute. Make them!
Ingredients: 2 cups shredded mozzarella Directions: **a silicone mat is preferred for baking to prevent burning and sticking of the bottoms of the rolls to the surface**
BBQ Pulled Pork Rolls
bbq pulled pork:
4 cups, tightly packed pulled pork, warm
2 cups barbecue sauce, plus more for brushing and drizzling
savory roll dough:
3/4 cup whole milk warmed (about 110˚F)
2 tablespoons superfine sugar, divided
2 teaspoons active-dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg, room temperature and lightly beaten
1 tablespoon minced thyme
1 tablespoon thinly sliced chives
3 1/2 to 4 cups AP flour
crushed, dry roasted peanuts
thinly sliced chives
1. Combine pulled pork and bbq sauce in a large bowl and toss together until pork is evenly coated. Set aside.
2. For dough: Pour milk and half of sugar into a mixing bowl and stir together.
3. Sprinkle yeast over milk and sugar and allow mixture to sit for 4 to 5 minutes (yeast should begin to bubble and foam).
4. Stir in remaining sugar, salt, butter, egg, and herbs. Begin adding flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring to incorporate after each addition.
5. Once all the flour has been added, dump mixture onto a clean and lightly floured surface and knead dough for 5 to 7 minute or until smooth and elastic, adding more flour, 1 teaspoon at a time as needed.
6. Once smooth dough has formed, place dough into a lightly greasy bowl, cover with a clean, damp towel and place in a warm area until dough has doubled in size. About 1 hour.
7. To assemble: Once dough has doubled in size, punch down the center and turn onto a clean and lightly floured surface. Roll dough out into a 12”x 19” rectangle and about 1/4″ thick.
8. Brush surface of dough with bbq sauce and top evenly with 1 cup of shredded cheese.
9. Top cheese with an even layer of bbq pulled pork and finish with remaining cheese.
10. Tightly and evenly roll the dough from one end to the other and gently pinch the seam shut. Place savory roll log seam side down and trim about 2 inches off each end. Cut remaining log into 8 even rolls.
11. Cover baking sheet with a silicone mat, such as silpat*, or parchment paper and place rolls onto the baking sheet at least 2 1/2 inches apart (you might need two baking sheets). Loosely cover rolls, place in a warm area and allow the rolls to proof again, for about 30 minutes.
12. Preheat oven to 375˚F.
13. Remove cover and bake rolls for 25 to 30 minute or until rolls become a deep, golden brown.
14. Remove rolls from the oven, transfer to a cooling rack and cool for 10-15 minutes.
15. Drizzle rolls with more bbq sauce and top with a sprinkle of crushed nuts and thinly sliced chives. Serve warm.
2 cups shredded mozzarella
**a silicone mat is preferred for baking to prevent burning and sticking of the bottoms of the rolls to the surface**