Hi Guys! We have more biscuits for you today because it’s Monday and I need something really awesome to keep me going this week. I love sweet potatoes….everything about them. I love their creamy texture, with the hints of natural sweetness they carry…so good. I love cooking with them, but more so I love love love baking with them. When you bake with potatoes it’s like adding instant moisture to whatever it is you’re making. We made these guys a little while back and they’re one of my favorite kinds of doughnuts….with the cutest name, Spudnut! Super cute, right? Not only does baking with sweet potato add a smooth texture and tons of moisture, but they also add a gorgeous orange tinge to whatever it is you’re making as well.
Anyways, back to these Sweet Potato & Rosemary Biscuits. I love them. Really. They don’t rise quite like regular biscuits because I’ve added so much potato to this (for fluffier biscuits scale back on the sweet potato and add more flour), but they taste amazing! The rosemary is just an added bonus that go really well with the sweet potato. These are best eaten plain, with a schmear of butter or dipped in a nice, thick soup or chowder, like this one! Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Sweet Potato & Rosemary Biscuits
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 stick (1/2cup) unsalted butter
1 small sweet potato, peeled, boiled and mashed (about 3/4 to 1 cup)
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
2 to 3 tablespoons buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Place flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and pepper into a bowl and whisk together.
3. Cut in butter with a pastry knife or using your fingers until a fine grainy texture forms.
4. Fold in rosemary, sweet potato and buttermilk and stir until dough just comes together.
5. Turn dough onto a clean surface and cut out 3 inch rounds using a circle cutter. Place biscuits onto a baking sheet lined with parchment, about 1 inch apart, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and the biscuits have baked through. Serve warm.
6. To store: Place biscuits in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Warm before serving.