This taco pasta skillet is giving us heavy hamburger helper vibes and we are not mad about that. Sometimes I crave that stuff because it’s delicious. Like taco packet seasoning, or even guacamole packet seasoning, or even mac and cheese from a box with the powder cheese packet. So we made kind of fancy hamburger helper dish / taco mash up, and topped it all with sour cream because why not? The perfect weeknight meal to look forward to. :)
Taco Pasta Skillet
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoons chile powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 corn on cob
- 6 ounces dry cavatappi pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded Mexican Blend cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- few dollops sour cream
- chopped cilantro, optional
- chopped avocado, optional
- sliced jalapeno, optional
- Combine all spices in a small bowl and stir together. Set aside.
- Set oven to broil and char corn under broiler on each side for 1 minute. Remove from broiler and slice kernels off cob and set aside (discard cob).
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Fill a large pot with water and place over medium-high heat.
- Once water is boiling, add a handful of salt and pasta and boil until al dente, about 7 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and drain pasta. Set aside.
- Place an 8” skillet over medium-high heat and add oil.
- Add ground beef and saute for 3 to 4 minutes, breaking up the beef as it cooks. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add shallot and garlic and continue to saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in taco seasoning and stir together. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir tomato sauce into the mixture and reduce heat to medium. Simmer mixture for about 10 minutes adding 2 tablespoons water at a time to mixture, if it begins to get too thick.
- Once ground beef mixture has thickened, fold in cooked pasta and charred corn until evenly distributed.
- Top pasta skillet with shredded cheese and place in oven for 6 to 8 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Remove from heat and top with diced tomatoes, dollops of sour cream and sliced green onions. Serve.