Today we have a Irish Soda Bread with Dried Blueberries recipe for you. This easy bread recipe is perfect to make for breakfast if you love toast. Traditionally this bread is made with currants, but we swapped them out and added blueberries for a little extra sweetness which I LOVE. You can also just turn this recipe into something a little more savory by cutting the sugar down and adding some herbs. Super easy. I absolutely love the texture of this bread, and I think it would make a perfect dinner bread. Dinner bread in my opinion is good when it’s a little dense, but still moist enough that I feel like it can soak up gravy well. This bread will do just that, and I think with a little butter and sea salt spread on top of a slice this bread would be HEAVEN. Enjoy!
Here are some more recipes you might like:
Hungry for more?
Irish Soda Bread with Dried Blueberries
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons superfine sugar granulated is fine
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- zest from 1 medium orange
- ⅔ cup dried blueberries
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Recipe instruction visual controls:
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Place flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt into a large mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Cut in butter with a pastry knife or using your fingers until the butter is well blended into the dough and forms a coarse texture.
- Fold in orange juice, zest and dried blueberries until just combined.
- Stir in buttermilk until a rough dough forms. Dump dough onto a clean surface and knead a few times until the mixture fully comes together and no dry spots remain.
- Form dough into a large, round loaf and score and “X” onto the top, with a knife.
- Transfer onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the loaf.
- Allow soda bread to cool for about 1 hour before slicing and serving.
- *Makes 1 large loaf