I’ve really been enjoying this weather we’ve had over in LA this past week; sunny and cool, but still warm enough to go gallivanting around in a cute spring dress, if you so desired. My boyfriend and I have been trying to savor the good weather and grill most of our meals. Last week, we cooked up cilantro, lime and yogurt marinated grilled wings with a pickle marinade and it was delicious!
I’ll admit I’m not the biggest wing person and when I do make and eat them I prefer to keep them intact, tip and all, (I think you get a more juicy and flavorful end result this way). Since we were having friends over and wanted them to be able to easily pick up the wings and nosh away, we cut them down into wingettes and drumettes.
To marinate these wings we used a new combination: yogurt and pickle juice. The result was perfect. The combination of the pickle juice and yogurt tenderizes the chicken beautifully as well as infuses this natural ‘briny’ feel to the wings. It’s so good! For the marinade we used the juice from the Bread and Butter Chips variety. The juice is mild but with a touch of sweetness and it combined perfectly with the extra tart key limes.
This simple combination of flavors is perfect for the warm months ahead of us and all the fun parties and barbecues that come with them. Not only is this dish easy to throw together and super tasty, it’s also pretty inexpensive so it’s perfect for big groups!
Father’s Day is coming up in a few weeks and these wings could make a festive barbeque snack for your celebration. Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Here are some other yummy chicken recipes:
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Cilantro Lime and Yogurt Grilled Wings
- 12 whole chicken wings, tips trimmed and discarded
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 5 key limes, juiced
- ⅔ cup brine from Farmer’s Garden by Vlasic Bread and Butter Chips
- ½ bunch cilantro, chopped
- smoked paprika
- key limes, quartered
- cilantro leaves
- Separate drumettes from wingettes by slicing a sharp knife through the joints. Place trimmed wings into a large mixing bowl and toss together with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl whisk together all marinade ingredients pour over wings. Toss together until all the wings are fully coated and submerged in the marinade. Cover, refrigerate and allow the mixture to sit for 6 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Generously brush grill with a ‘high temperature resistant’ oil before adding chicken.
- Remove wings from marinade, shaking off any excess and place onto the grill. Generously season with salt and pepper.
- Lower the heat to medium, cover and grill for 10 minutes. Uncover, flip and grill for another 10 to 12 minutes or until the juices run clear when a test cut is made.
- Remove from grill and allow wings to rest for about 7 minutes. Transfer to a serving plate and top with key lime wedges, cilantro leaves and sprinkle of smoked paprika. Serve.
- *Makes 12 Wings
Did you make this recipe? We want to see!
tag @SpoonForkBacon and #SpoonForkBacon on Instagram
Is there an alternative for the pickle juice? It sounds amazing to add, but I live in Canberra, Australia, and I’m really not that hopeful in finding good quality pickle juice!
Made these as one of the grilled options at my Memorial Day BBQ. They were gobbled up before everything else! Everyone loved them, and I loved how easy they were. Yum.
Yay, you just made my day! :)
Helen @ the crispy crouton
Thanks for the recipe – like you I’m not the greatest fan of chicken wings as there isn’t enough meat on them for my liking but I’d love to try this with chicken thighs which are thicker and, for me, more juicy!
Sashi @ Get Off The Couch And Cook
Oh, my! This wings alone make me wish I had a grill! I still foresee these in my near future. :) Thank you for posting.
Jessica's Dinner Party
Pickle juice!! So genius! I like to marinate my chicken in milk, but yogurt sounds even better.
These look so good and juicy!
Ashley @ Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen
This looks outrageously good, perfect for grilling season!
Helen @ Scrummy Lane
This really grabbed my attention. They look (and sound) soooo good! Did you serve them as part of a ‘buffet-style’ meal?
What an absolutely perfect combination of flavors! And you spoke too soon, it’s going to be brutally hot here this week. Still, perfect weather for these wings. Love them!