This is the perfect weekend breakfast recipe – nothing that is too much a pain in the butt to do which is always preferable. So this dish meets all the requirements – potato stuff – in this case sweet potato, but if you’re dying for regular potato then make this recipe – and then we have yolky eggs and toast. Boom. AND all in one pan which is like the best! Easy clean up is always a plus! Bookmark this one!
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Cheesy Skillet Sweet Potato Hash Browns and Eggs
- 4 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 heaping cups peeled and shredded sweet potatoes (about 2 large)
- 1 tablespoon minced thyme, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon thinly sliced chives, plus more for garnish
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup shredded white cheddar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375˚F, for 10 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter and oil to a 10” cast iron skillet and place on the stove over medium-high heat.
- Swirl melting butter over the entire surface and add shredded potatoes and garlic and sauté mixture for 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add thyme and chives and continue to sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Spread mixture into an even layer and create 3 pockets within the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Dot 1 ½ tablespoons butter over the surface and transfer skillet back into the oven for 15-18 minutes.
- Remove skillet from the oven and dot each pocket within the potatoes with 1 teaspoon butter. Add a cracked egg into each pocket, top the potatoes with shredded cheese and return the skillet to the oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until the egg whites are set, with the yolks still creamy and the top of the potatoes are golden brown.
- Season with salt and pepper and finish with a sprinkle of extra thyme and chives. Serve.