Happy weekend! We thought today we be a good day to share this super Simple Cheesy Skillet Hash Browns and Eggs recipe with you. On weekends I always love having a bigger breakfast, one that is delicious, but not too complicated to make. It’s been a favorite of mine because of the potatoes (everything is better with potatoes), and it’s just so convenient to be able to grab them from the freezer. Pretty much everything else in this recipe you probably already have. I will be making this tomorrow for sure, will you be?:)
There are two things you absolutely need for this recipe. The first is a really great cast iron skillet. If you don’t have one, this cast iron skillet by Lodge is great and affordable. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet you should consider buying one! You can use any skillet you may have for this, but a cast iron is the best way to get crispy hash browns. Speaking of hash browns, you want to make sure you get the frozen shredded variety, and that they are not loaded up with freezer burn!
We love pairing our Simple Cheesy Skillet Hash Browns and Eggs with toast so we can dip it into our runny egg yolks. Sourdough is definitely a favorite for us.
Tips and Tricks for making Cheesy Skillet Hash Browns and Eggs
- After you remove the heated skillet from the oven, make sure the melted butter is swirled around to cover the entire bottom of the skillet. This will be important so that the hash browns don’t stick to the cast iron skillet.
- You can add the skillet with hash browns to the oven before adding the eggs if you want the hash browns to be super crispy.
- Mix some bacon or sausage into the hash browns before you bake them
- Add some fresh arugula to the top for a little green, you can dress it in some lemon juice and olive oil
- Add freshly sliced cherry tomatoes on top, or add some before you bake
- Any cheese is delicious with this! Creamy cheese pairs very well
- Using fresh potatoes? Grate and squeeze out extra moisture, then follow recipe directions.
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Simple Cheesy Skillet Hash Browns and Eggs
- 4 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups frozen, shredded potatoes
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup shredded white cheddar
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced chives
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place a 10” cast iron skillet into an oven preheated at 375˚F, for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove skillet from oven and add 2 tablespoons butter and oil, swirling the melting butter across the entire surface.
- Add shredded potatoes and spread into an even layer and create 3 pockets within the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Dot 1 1/2 tablespoons butter over the surface and transfer skillet back into the oven for 15-18 minutes.
- Remove skillet from the oven and dot each pocket within the potatoes with 1 teaspoon butter. Add a cracked egg into each pocket, top the potatoes with shredded cheese and return the skillet to the oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until the egg whites are set, with the yolks still creamy and the top of the potatoes are golden brown.
- Season with salt and pepper and finish with a sprinkle of chives. Serve.