The holidays are here and these Salted Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies are always my first go-to for the season. Everyone loves a good chocolate chip cookie, but add a little browned butter and sea salt and you get next level deliciousness. Really though, these cookies are so tasty and hit the spot every time I’m in the mood for a sweet treat. They’re crisp on the outside, and nice and soft on the inside. The dough also freezes VERY well, so I usually have at least one batch of these cookies sitting in the freezer, ready to hit the oven. Just FYI. :)
I also love making a few batches and giving them out to neighbors for the holidays. Every year i’m asked for this recipe over and over again so this year I finally decided we needed it on the blog! Hope you guys love these as much as I do! Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Salted, Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 20 to 24
1 cup (2 stick) unsalted butter, divided
1 cup superfine sugar (granulated is fine)
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon molasses
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup chopped dark chocolate (can use milk chocolate, if you prefer)
1-2 tablespoons sea salt flakes, divided
1. Melt 1 stick butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and continue to cook until butter begins to smell nutty and lightly brown. Remove from heat and cool completely.
2. Place remaining stick of butter and cooled browned butter in a bowl and using an electric mixer, beat until light and fluffy.
3. Add both sugars and continue to beat together until light and fluffy.
4. Scrape down sides of the bowl, add molasses and vanilla and continue to mix together.
5. Stir in egg and egg yolk.
6. In another bowl whisk dry ingredients together and add to the butter mixture.
7. Beat together until a dough comes together.
8. Fold in chopped chocolate chips until fully combined.
9. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 3 days.
10. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
11. Scoop 3 1/2 tablespoon sized balls onto a parchment lined baking sheet, about 1 1/2 inches apart and sprinkle with sea salt flakes.
12. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until cookies are golden brown.
13. Allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack or serve warm.