This is the perfect weekend breakfast recipe – nothing that is too much a pain in the butt to do which is always preferable. So this dish meets all the requirements – potato stuff – in this case sweet potato, but if you’re dying for regular potato then make this recipe – and then we have yolky eggs and toast. Boom. AND all in one pan which is like the best! Easy clean up is always a plus! Bookmark this one!
Cheesy Skillet Sweet Potato Hash Browns and Eggs
Serves 2 to 3
4 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves minced
3 heaping cups peeled and shredded sweet potatoes (about 2 large)
1 tablespoon minced thyme, plus more for garnish
1 teaspoon thinly sliced chives, plus more for garnish
3 large eggs
1/2 cup shredded white cheddar
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F, for 10 minutes.
2. Add 2 tablespoons butter and oil to a 10” cast iron skillet and place on the stove over medium-high heat.
3. Swirl melting butter over the entire surface and add shredded potatoes and garlic and sauté mixture for 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Add thyme and chives and continue to sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
5. Spread mixture into an even layer and create 3 pockets within the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Dot 1 1/2 tablespoons butter over the surface and transfer skillet back into the oven for 15-18 minutes.
7. Remove skillet from the oven and dot each pocket within the potatoes with 1 teaspoon butter. Add a cracked egg into each pocket, top the potatoes with shredded cheese and return the skillet to the oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until the egg whites are set, with the yolks still creamy and the top of the potatoes are golden brown.
8. Season with salt and pepper and finish with a sprinkle of extra thyme and chives. Serve.