Have you guys ever seen the movie Fried Green Tomatoes? I used to watch that movie over and over again when I discovered it as a teen. In fact, I’m pretty sure it kind of helped shaped my personality. Idgie Threadgood, one of the main characters doesn’t take crap from anybody. She is one of those characters you love because she is so stubborn, and does what she wants. Maybe she is kind of mean but its ok, because you love her anyway. I wanted to be that kind of person. Not a push over, tough, yet caring. I would hope that my friends today would describe me as such. Anyway, if you have not seen this movie you really should. Every time I think of a tomato I think of the movie. So here we give you Baked Tomatoes. No, they are not green, and not fried, but they are really pretty and make an awesome side dish.
Herb and Panko Crusted Baked Tomatoes
8 vine ripe tomatoes, sliced in half crosswise
1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 1/2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, minced
2 teaspoons oregano, minced
1 teaspoon rosemary, minced
1 teaspoon thyme, minced
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Gently scoop seeds from tomato halves. Set aside.
3. Place breadcrumbs, Parmesan, parsley, oregano, rosemary, and thyme in a small mixing bowl and toss together. Add melted butter and stir together until mixture is completely coated in butter. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Fill and top each tomato with about 3 1/2 tablespoons breadcrumb mixture.
5. Place each stuffed tomato onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until tomatoes soften and top have turned golden brown.
6. Allow tomatoes to cool for 5 minutes and serve.