Lately we’ve been throwing everything onto the grill. Once we get it all fired up, it suddenly becomes impossible to want to do any cooking inside. Today we have our Savory Sausage Strata using McCormick Grill Mates Roasted Garlic and Herb seasoning, which provides intense, instant flavor! We love cooking things like this skillet strata on the grill because it really imparts a bold and smoky flavor to the dish, one you can’t really achieve with an oven or stovetop. We also love that you can stick this dish on the grill and cover it up with some foil, while grilling up other brunch items like cinnamon sugar grilled donuts. We’ve been loving all things brunch on the grill, and were excited to see it trending in this year’s Grilling Flavor Forecast from McCormick. Brunch staples + smoky grilled flavors are the only things on our mind this season!
We also used Hawaiian rolls in this recipe because we love the slightly sweet, rich flavor and soft texture they have, perfect for soaking up all of the delicious and creamy egg mixture. This strata is super decadent and perfect for any al fresco weekend brunches, especially with Father’s day coming up. It’s a great dish for a crowd and for Father’s Day you can dress it up or down and with ingredients to suit your dad’s taste! This skillet grilled strata is a complete meal on its own, but you can also serve it up with a side of fruit salad, some yogurt, or our personal favorite…bacon! For more grilling recipes and seasonal trends check out McCormick’s Grilling Flavor Forecast report. Enjoy!
Hungry for more?
Savory Sausage Strata
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces breakfast sausage
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- fresh corn kernels from 2 ears of sweet corn
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 ounces baby spinach
- salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- 8 large eggs, well beaten
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon McCormick Grill Mates Roasted Garlic and Herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons usalted butter, softened
- 6 Hawaiian rolls, sliced into ½ inch pieces
- 1 ½ cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- Pour half of the oil into a large skillet and place over medium-high heat.
- Add breakfast sausage and saute and crumble for 4 to 5 minutes or until browned and barely cooked through. Pour sausage into a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Pour remaining oil into the skillet and return to the heat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Add corn and continue to saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in cherry tomatoes and spinich and cook for 3 to 4 minuts or until tomatoes and spinach wilt. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture over the sausage and toss together until well combined.
- Pour eggs, cream, milk, McCormick Grill Mates Roasted Garlic and Herb seasoning, salt, and pepper into a large, shallow dish and beater togeter until well combined.
- To assemble: Preheat grill at about 375˚F. Grease a skillet with butter. Dip ⅓ of the slices of bread into the egg mixture and allow slices to soak for 1 minute. Place a single layer of egg soaked bread in the bottom of the skillet and top with ½ of the sausage and corn mixture. Sprinkle with ½ cup of cheese, in an even layer.
- Repeat with another layer of egg soaked bread and the remaining sausage and corn mixture. Top with another ½ cup of cheese.
- Finish the strata with a final layer of egg soaked bread and the remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and place the skillet in the grill and cover with the lid.
- Grill strara for 18 to 25 minutes, remove foil and continue to grill for 4 to 6 minutes or until top bubbles and browns. (can place in a broiler to further brown, if desired)
- Remove from the grill and allow strata to cool for at least 10 minutes. Scoop and serve immediately.
- Makes 1 (10” skillet)