Today we have a very simple and really addicting, our quick and easy Garlic Noodles recipe. This Garlic Noodles recipe only requires a few ingredients, comes together in less than 20 minutes and is just so good! The fish sauce might not appeal to everyone, but I promise you guys it’s SO good and doesn’t make the noodles fishy at all. It gives the dish a really luscious umami flavor. This is my favorite brand. It has a really clean flavor and a tiny bit goes a long way!
What are lo mein noodles?
Lo Mein noodles are fresh Chinese style egg noodles (wheat noodles with the addition of egg) that are typically boiled before being tossed in a sauce and serve.
How to make quick and easy garlic noodles?
Garlic noodles couldn’t be easier to make. The trick is moving really fast once you start the sauce.
- First you start by boiling and draining the noodles. Set them aside as you prepare the sauce.
- Next, you melt butter in a large wok or skillet and quickly fry the garlic, making sure not to burn it. This should only take about 30 seconds.
- Next add the soy sauce, fish sauce and brown sugar and quickly stir everything together until the sugar has just dissolved.
- Add the boiled noodles and toss everything together until the noodles are well coated.
- Remove the noodles from the heat and toss in the Parmesan and green onion.
That’s it! There’s no need for added salt because the soy sauce and fish sauce have plenty of salt in them already.
- If you’re unable to find lo mein noodles, spaghetti can be substituted.
- If you’re unable to find fish sauce, you can add more soy sauce or use a combination of equal parts soy sauce and vinegar (white, cider or) white wine with a pinch of salt.
I like to throw a few pieces of stir-fried shrimp on top of the garlic noodles, with a side of snow peas, but my husband loves to eat a huge bowl on its own, so it’s all really based on preference. If you love this comforting recipe, you’ll love our recipe for Spicy Thai Red Curry Soup. It’s another simple, delicious and cozy noodle dish, but in soup form. Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Easy Garlic Noodles
- 12 ounces lo-mein noodles (spaghetti is fine)
- 3 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup (low sodium) soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- pinch white pepper, optional
- 2 green onion, thinly sliced on a bias and divided
- Fill a large pot with water, place over high heat and bring to a boil. Add noodles and boil until soft, 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Strain noodles into a colander and rinse under cool water. Set aside.
- Place a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat and melt butter. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add soy sauce, fish sauce and brown sugar and cook together until sugar dissolves and mixture is boiling, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Raise heat to high, add noodles and toss together for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle Parmesan, 1 sliced green onion and white pepper (if using) over noodles and continue to toss together until noodles are evenly coated in sauce.
- Top garlic noodles with more green onions and serve.