Hi! Today we have a nice fall recipe for you that is kind of a mash up of my favorite hot dip: spinach and artichoke, but we added some noodles to make it into mac and cheese. Mac and cheese is a cold weather staple, and this is such a yummy version of the classic. You could also try our popular pumpkin mac and cheese too. :)
Baked Spinach and Artichoke Mac and Cheese
Serves 6 to 8
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and divided
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups whole milk
2 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 ounces shredded white cheddar cheese, plus more for sprinkling on top
4 ounces shredded fontina cheese, plus more for sprinkling on top
16 ounces frozen spinach, thawed with excess water squeezed out
1 (15 ounce) can whole artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
1 pound cavatappi pasta, cooked al dente and drained
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F. Lightly grease a 13”x9” baking dish and set aside.
2. Place butter into a medium pot and melt over medium-high heat.
3. Add flour and stir together to create a roux. Stir for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in milk and continue to stir until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Stir in cream cheese and continue to stir until no lumps remain. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Stir in cheeses, 2 ounces at a time, until fully incorporated and mixture is smooth. Stir in the spinach and adjust seasonings.
5. Place cooked pasta in a large mixing bowl and pour spinach-cheese sauce over. Stir together until all the pasta is well coated. Fold in the quartered artichoke hearts and adjust seasonings.
6. Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish and top with extra shredded cheese.
7. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until mixture is bubbly and slightly browned on top.
8. Cool for about 10 minutes, scoop and serve.