So I’ve had a really busy couple of weeks, well more like a really busy couple of months…and you know what? I’m tired. Really tired. I mean, don’t get me wrong I couldn’t be happier to be busy with work, but UGHHH$%$#%$#%#$%#$%$#^%^$%^$%$%$#!!
Okay I’m done. Thanks for putting up with my mini meltdown, I really needed an overly dramatic moment. Whew, I feel a little better. Anyways, anyone else ever have those breakdown moments where you kick, yell and scream to yourself about wanting a break from life? If you have, guess what? I have something that won’t change or fix a thing, BUT it’ll make you feel better for about 30 minutes or so until it’s all gone…that’s something, right?
This is the perfect recipe for that 30 minute cure. It’s one of my favorite Korean dishes! Savory, short-ribby goodness, swimming in a sweet, soy broth with hearty root vegetables. I’ve changed my mama’s recipes just a tad. I added shiitake mushrooms, which many versions have. This recipe is also often made with water chestnuts, but I’m not a big fan. Again, this recipe won’t change your life, but it will make you pretty happy for a little while. Enjoy!
Serves 5 to 7
5 lbs short ribs for braising, rinsed in cold water
¾ cup low sodium soy sauce
½ cup sugar
1 Asian pear, peeled and grated
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons mirin
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
2 carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
1 cup shitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced in half
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1. Place short ribs in a large pot and fill with water until ribs are just covered.
2. Place pot over stove and bring to a boil. Boil ribs for 20 minutes.
3. Drain and rinse excess fat off short ribs.
4. Place ribs back into the pot along with soy sauce, sugar, Asian pear, garlic, mirin, sesame oil, black pepper, and 2 ½ cups water.
5. Cover pot and bring to a boil. Boil for 20 minutes.
6. Add potatoes and carrots to the pot, cover and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.
7. Serve braised short rib stew over rice and top with green onions and sesame seeds.