I had this amazing dish for the first time about a year ago from this unsuspecting place that seemed to be in the middle of nowhere, Cafe Hiro. Being a HUGE uni (sea urchin) fan myself I was so excited to see something like this on the menu. This isn’t just a dish for people who love the umami goodness of uni. My boyfriend, who normally gags at the sight of the stuff, was LOVING it! The subtle sweetness combined with hints of fresh ocean salt….SO GOOD. I’ve made my own version of this dish many times since, because it’s just that good. I know, I know, you get it so I’ll stop now. Enjoy!
Looking for more uni recipes? Here are a couple more you might like!
Hungry for more?
- 1 pound thin spaghetti
- ¾ cup fresh sea urchin
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons nori, julienned
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add a generous amount of salt to the water and drop in the pasta. Stir.
- Once al dente, drain, toss in a small amount of olive oil and set aside.
- In a food processor, puree the sea urchin and cream together until smooth.
- Strain the mixture and whisk in the unsalted butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce into a large pan and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add the pasta and toss together.
- Top with the pine nuts and nori and serve warm.