It’s that time of year again, Pumpkin season, and you’re either with it or against it. I love pumpkin, I really do, but I’ll admit that I wasn’t all that jazzed about “pumpkin spiced” things this year, as I’ve been in the past. For me this year is all about the roasted pumpkin. I love the flavor of roasted pumpkin, topped with nothing but a little bit of salt and pepper. It’s one of my favorite seasonal squashes and I feel like the flavor of actual pumpkin isn’t appreciated enough. So today we have a savory Roasted Pumpkin Hummus recipe for you all. I’ve incorporated lots of roasted garlic and tahini for that savory, nutty flavor. I also decided to load it up on top because I love the crunchy textures you get from the pepitas and hemp hearts. The pomegranate seeds may not be for everyone in this dish, but I love the sweet/tart and savory combination.
Although there are some really nice canned pumpkin purees out there, I highly recommend roasting your own sugar pumpkin (it’s really quite easy!) and making this hummus. You’ll taste a world of difference between the two types of pumpkin used. You’ll get a more in-depth and caramelized flavor from the home roasted pumpkin. This would make a great party appetizer or just a tasty midday snack. Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Hungry for more?
Roasted Pumpkin Hummus
- 1 sugar pumpkin, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 cup canned chick peas, drained (reserving 1/4 cup liquid)
- 1 head roasted garlic (cloves removed from the husk and husk discarded)
- ½ cup tahini
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- pomegranate seeds
- hemp hearts
- edible flower petals
Recipe instruction visual controls:
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Season the pumpkin halves with salt and pepper and place halves onto a lightly greased baking sheet, cut-side down, and roast pumpkin in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from oven and allow pumpkin to cool, about 30 minutes or an hour.
- Scoop the roasted pumpkin flesh into a blender and add remaining ingredients. Puree mixture until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread mixture onto a shallow dish, top with desired garnishes and serve with crudité or pita chips.
- *Makes 1 quart