Today we have a SUPER simple and extra decadent treat for you guys, our S’mores Rice Krispies Treats! We start the recipe with very simple, but extra gooey and buttery rice krispies treats which we use are our base layer. Then we just throw a bunch of extra marshmallows, chocolate and sweet cracker crumbs over the surface for the s’mores topper! Sure we could’ve mixed everything together and gotten the chocolate extra melty, but there’s something about the layered affect that I really love! Plus I feel like you get a real sense of the s’mores action on top and true rice krispies treats on the bottom, before mixing it all up in yer pie hole, ya know?!
Hungry for more?
S’mores Rice Krispies Treats
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (16 ounce bag) mini marshmallows, reserving 6 ounces (1 ½ to 2 cups)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 ½ cups puffed rice cereal
- 1 (3 ounce) bar dark chocolate, chopped (about ¾ cup chopped)
- ½ cup crushed graham crackers or Nilla wafers
- Melt butter and 10 ounces of marshmallows in a large pot, over medium-low heat. Heat marshmallows and butter until fully melted. Stir in the sea salt.
- Remove mixture from the heat and stir in puffed rice cereal until fully incorporated and no dry spots remain.
- Pour mixture into a lightly greased 8”x 8” baking dish and smooth the surface.
- Pour ½ of the remaining mini marshmallows over the surface and top with chocolate. Add the remaining marshmallows evenly over the top and brulee the surface with a small brulee torch. (If you don’t have one, you can put the dish under the broiler for 15 to 45 seconds, making sure to watch the surface very carefully so it doesn’t burn)
- Immediately sprinkle cracker crumbs over the surface and allow the treats to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting up and serving. (if you want the treats to be stiffer, allow them to sit for about 1 hour before cutting into them)
- *Makes 1 (8”x8”) pan