Hey Guys! Today we have some super quick and easy pickled mushrooms! I really love pickled anything, in this case the combination of the spicy brine paired with the soft mushrooms…so good! You can put these pickled mushrooms on almost anything; they’re fantastic paired with dishes like roasted branzino, in sandwiches, stirred into soups, or even piled onto hot dogs! Although I will say, I often find myself just standing over the kitchen counter with a jar of these guys and a fork and eating them straight from the jar, but whatever right? Eat them how you want!
The only important thing to remember is that these guys take about a day to fully absorb and develop the flavors of the tasty brine. Also, if you prefer a sweeter (more bread and butter like) pickled product, I recommend adding an extra tablespoon or so of sugar, because these mushrooms are quite sour (just how I like them!) These guys can also definitely be canned using the simple water bath method which will make them last a decent while longer. Pickling is such a great method of preservation and also creates such delicious explosions of flavor. I urge you guys to get into the kitchen and make a batch of these little guys…AND to really play around with the spices within the brine to suit your taste. Sometimes I like to add crushed fennel or cumin seeds for an even more intense flavor…just a thought! Enjoy! xx, Jenny
More recipes you might like:
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
- 3 cups of wild mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- ½ serrano pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons raw or granulated sugar
- 12 black peppercorns
- 10 coriander seeds
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 (1-inch) lemon rinds
- 2 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ cup water
- Gently toss mushrooms into a bowl until well mixed. Fill two sterilized (16 ounce) jars with mushrooms about ¾ of the way up and top each jar with two thyme sprigs and ¼ of the sliced Serrano, if using. Set aside.
- Place the remaining ingredients into a small pot and simmer until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and carefully pour the liquid over the mushroom mixture until each jar is almost full.
- Tightly seal each jar and refrigerate. Pickled mushrooms should be ready in a day or two and will keep for about 2 months.