Our Mozzarella Sticks with Wonton Wrappers make for a classic appetizer recipe but with a twist to make this recipe insanely easier to make. Instead of breading the mozzarella with breadcrumbs, we use wonton wrappers. The result are much smaller much crisper little mozzarella sticks. Pair with our marinara sauce for dipping!
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Mozzarella Sticks with Wonton Wrappers
- 40 square wonton wrappers
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- 20 ounces part-skim mozzarella, cut into 40 (2 ½” x ¼″ x ¼″) sticks
- salt to taste
- oil for frying
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Stir egg and water together and brush each wonton wrapper with the egg wash and place a piece of mozzarella in each wonton, diagonally in one corner.
- Tightly roll the stick of cheese in the wonton wrapper, tucking the sides in about halfway through the rolling, before completing and sealing.
- Place wrapped mozzarella stick onto a parchment lined baking sheet, seam side down.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 until all the wontons and mozzarella sticks have been used.
- Place mozzarella stick in the freezer for at least an hour.
- Pour about 2 inches oil into a tall pot and preheat stovetop to 350˚F.
- Remove mozzarella sticks from freezer and fry in small batches, for about 3 to 4 minutes or until the wontons turn golden brown and the cheese has melted through.
- Drain onto a paper towel and lightly season with salt.
- Serve immediately with warm marinara sauce.
- *Makes 40 sticks
Leave a Reply