Welcome to our Egg McMuffins! Earlier we posted a recipe for our Homemade English Muffins. I was and am still really excited about that one. I don’t have too much experience with making yeast breads (with the exception of doughnuts, but duh).
I know the process isn’t very difficult, but I think it’s such an intimidating subject to tackle. I finally ordered the proper English muffin rings, pulled up my sleeves and did the darn thing.
Cut to today….we turned our English Muffins into Egg McMuffins and I’m pretty pleased with them too! They’re basically a rift on a ‘toad in a hole’ (the US version, not British version), but with ham and cheese added, to make it more “breakfast sandwich-y”.
They’re really great when you’re trying to feed a small crowd. If you love a good breakfast sandwich you’ll also love our Freeze Ahead Turkey Sausage Breakfast Sandwiches or our Extra Cheesy Breakfast Grilled Cheese! xx, Jenny
Hungry for more?
- 6 whole, English muffins
- 6 thin slices Canadian bacon
- 6 slices American cheese or cheddar cheese
- 6 medium eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Using a 2.5” circle cutter, cut holes from the center of each English muffin.
- Remove muffin holes, slice bottom third of each hole and place back into the bottom of each muffin.
- Transfer muffins to a baking sheet, lined with parchment or a silicone baking mat, and brush each muffin with butter.
- Press a half cheese slice into each muffin well and top with a slice of Canadian bacon, followed by the remaining half slices of cheese (making sure to press into the center so a well remains in the middle of the muffin).
- Carefully pour an egg white into each well and bake for about 15 minutes or until muffins have toasted, cheese has melted and whites have just barely set.
- Remove muffins from oven and top each with an egg yolk.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375˚F and bake English muffins for an additional 5 minutes, so the yolks are still runny (bake for 10 minutes for a solid yolk).
- Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes. Lightly season with salt and pepper and serve.