I’ve talked about my love affair with noodles and pasta on numerous occasions and today we have one of my favorite, super quick, easy and satisfying weeknight meals. This is also one of those ’empty your pantry/fridge meals’ as you can swap in a variety of proteins and vegetables. I love the vermicelli type noodles used here, and although I’m pretty sure ‘Singapore Noodles’ aren’t authentic to Singapore…or Asia for that matter, they’re still so tasty and completely satisfying. Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Singapore Noodles with Shrimp and Peppers
Serves 3 to 5
1 pound extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 teaspoons fish sauce, divided
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, divided
6 ounces dried rick stick noodles
2 to 3 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons (low sodium) soy sauce
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
1/2 orange bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
12 snow peas, stems and strings trimmed and removed
1. Place shrimp, 1 teaspoon fish sauce and 1 teaspoon oil into a mixing bowl and toss together. Cover and refrigerate.
2. Place rice stick noodles in a large bowl and completely cover with boiling water for 5 to 6 minutes. Drain completely and set aside.
3. In a small mixing bowl combine garlic, remaining fish sauce, soy sauce, 1 teaspoon curry powder, vinegar, and white pepper and whisk together.
4. Place a wok or large skillet over high heat.
5. Once pan is hot, add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil followed by shrimp and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp has barely cooked through. Transfer shrimp to large plate.
6. Clean out pan and place back over high heat. Add an additional 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan along with onion, peppers and snow peas. Sprinkle vegetables with remaining teaspoon curry powder and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes or until the vegetables just begin to caramelize and char at the ends. Transfer vegetables to plate with shrimp.
7. Clean pan out again and place over high heat. Add remaining tablespoon oil. Add noodles and sauce to pan and toss together. Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
8. Add vegetables and shrimp back to pan, over noodles, and toss together. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until everything is evenly coated and shrimp has finished cooking through. Remove from heat and serve.