Hello. Do you have a huge belly like me from Thanksgiving? I even gave most people who came for dinner leftovers and I still have more. I’ve been eating it like everyday for lunch. Carb city. Its crazy. I feel disgusting, yet I do not want to eat a salad. Just cheeseburgers. And stuffing. And biscuits. And mashed potatoes. That’s it. I am going to be a whale by January. Maybe I will drink those disgusting kale and other healthy crap fresh squeezed juice drinks. Probably not. OR, maybe I will just make my new years resolution to eat more salad and not be such a carb slut, and then not follow through, because that’s what New Years resolutions are for, in my opinion. They just make you feel worse unless you have the self disciple of a person with awesome self discipline. That’s not me. I’m ok with it. Another factor to the fatness is boozing. However, booze is an important ingredient to all adult holiday parties. Holiday parties are practically unbearable without this ingredient. This spiced white wine sangria recipe is super festive and beautiful, and its a great way to make parties fun, or more fun.
Spiced White Wine Sangria
Makes 2 quarts
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup water
2 cinnamon sticks
3 star anise
3 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
1 (750ml) bottle pinot grigio
2 tangerines, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 cup pomegranate seeds
1. Place sugar, water, cinnamon sticks, star anise and cardamom pods into a small saucepan, stir and simmer until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
2. While the spice simple syrup cools, spread tangerine slices onto a baking sheet and sprinkle the tops with a small amount of brown sugar.
3. Using a brulee torch, caramel the tops of each orange tangerine slice or place the baking sheet under a broiler for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Place the orange slices and pomegranate seeds into a large pitcher.
5. Pour the wine over the fruit and add extra cinnamon sticks and star anise, if desired.
6. Strain the simple syrup into the pitcher and stir until well combined.
7. Place the sangria in the refrigerator and allow to chill for at least an hour. Pour into glasses and serve.