It’s no secret that I favor savory and salty foods over sweet ones and it’s also no secret that I love to turn traditionally sweet foods into savory ones and today’s recipe for Savory Herb Churros with White Queso Dip is no exception! I actually love traditionally sweet and sugary churros, but was thinking the other day how yummy savory ones would be…and you guys, THEY ARE!! They are seriously little bite-sized sticks of PURE JOY…and when dipped in the white queso dip…it’s OVER.
These guys are best eaten freshly fried and before anyone asks, no, they can not be baked, they must be fried. I know frying things seems daunting sometimes, but these little guys aren’t messy to make at all, take only a few minutes to throw together and you can totally shallow fry them in a small pot instead of using tons of oil and deep frying them. I made them mini so that they’re better for a crowd or group gathering situation, like a football game. :)
If you want a few more ideas for sweet things turned savory we have our Savory Funnel Cakes, Savory Herb French Toast, Savory Breakfast Rolls, and our BBQ Pulled Pork Rolls! Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Savory Herb Churros with White Queso Dip
white queso dip
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar
- salt to taste
savory herb churros
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced chives
- 2 teaspoons minced thyme
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat oil to 350˚F.
- For white queso dip: Melt butter in a small saucepan, over medium heat. Add flour and whisk together for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Whisk milk into the roux and continue to whisk together until the mixture is smooth. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, 3 to 4 minutes. Lightly season with salt.
- Remove from heat and stir in shredded cheese, a small handful at a time, waiting until the cheese melts to add more.
- Continue to add cheese until all has been added and dip is smooth. Adjust seasonings. Set aside and keep warm (stirring 1 tablespoon hot milk, at a time, if dip gets too thick).
- For churros: Combine flour, chives, thyme, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Using a wooden spoon and stir in the boiling water. Continue to stir until the steam dissipates and thick dough forms.
- Gently fold in ¼ cup Parmesan until just combined.
- Transfer half of the dough into a piping bag fitted with a small, star tip.
- Holding the piping bag over the hot oil, carefully squeeze 2 inches dough from the piping bag and cut the end off with a pair of kitchen scissors.
- Repeat until you have several churros frying, making sure not to overcrowd the oil.
- Fry churros for 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Transfer to a tray lined with paper towels and season with salt.
- Repeat steps 6 to 9 until all of the churros have been fried.
- Transfer churros to a large platter, top with remaining Parmesan and serve with queso dip.
- *Makes 45-50 Churros
Did you make this recipe? We want to see!
tag @SpoonForkBacon and #SpoonForkBacon on Instagram
Sounds delicious, but can this be converted to cooking in an air fryer?
I have an electric churro maker they come out JUST FINE !!!! Also do a pizza herb flavored one to dip in marinara sauce. A chicana knows these things LOL
Would it be possible to make them and freeze them/ fry them as we need them? if so, would be fry them right out of the freezer or is it best to wait for a couple of minutes? Thanks!
Hi! Yes, you can definitely pipe these out ahead of time and freeze them! When you’re ready to fry them up, just do it right out of the freezer and increase the frying time by a minute or two. Enjoy!
what size tip? thanks!
I used the Wilton tip #32 (open star tip)!
I’m with you, I am more of a salty savory gal myself. I am totally making these this weekend for the Gator Game :)
Oh man, my butt just grew three whole sizes just reading this…. OM NOM NOM :)