We recently posted these Strawberry and Cinnamon French Toast Roll Ups on the blog – and this is their non identical twin – the savory version. If you’re squarely in the savory camp, we also have this yummy recipe for Savory Herb French Toast. In this recipe, we have a little cheese, a little bacon, rolled tightly into a nice little log and then baked where the tops get a little crispy which is my favorite part. I like to top mine with extra butter when it’s hot, but if you’re into sweet and savory stuff you can use syrup. I would because I also like blueberry bagels and vegetable cream cheese. :)
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Savory French Toast Roll-Ups
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and divided
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cacked black pepper
- 1 loaf sliced, country white or wheat bread, crust and end pieces removed
- 6 slices cooked and crumbled bacon
- 4 ounces shredded white cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions or chives
- salted butter, softened for serving
- Lightly grease the bottom and sides of an 8-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Place eggs, milk, salt, and pepper into a shallow baking dish and whisk together.
- Place a single piece of bread onto a clean surface and using a rolling pin, roll the piece of bread until completely flattened.
- In a mixing bowl combine bacon, shredded cheese and green onions/chives and toss together.
- Scatter 2 heaping teaspoons of the bacon mixture onto the flattened bread and roll up.
- Place the roll on a cutting board, seam side down and slice in half, widthwise.
- Carefully dip both rolls into the egg mixture until completely covered and place into the greased baking dish, standing up, side by side.
- Repeat steps 4 through 7 until all of the bread and bacon/cheese have been used and the baking dish is filled with Savory French toast roll ups.
- Pour remaining egg mixture over the baking dish, cover with foil and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Place covered baking dish into the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove French toast from oven, uncover and randomly dot the top with remaining tablespoon butter.
- Place baking dish back into the oven and continue to bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the butter has melted and the top has browned.
- Allow French toast to cool slightly before topping with butter (optional) and serving.
- *Makes 1 (8”) Pan of Roll-Ups