Today’s recipe is a vegan friendly dish that is so incredibly filling, delicious, creamy, decadent…. basically everything you could want in a savory dish. Our Roasted Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Cilantro-Garlic Cashew Sauce! The roasted chickpeas give this dish some nice body and texture, against the roasted potato and smooth cashew sauce. This dish can act as both a side dish AND as a main course, especially if you have dietary restrictions. It’s also perfect for if you have any vegan guests sharing your Thanksgiving meal with you.
so. Did you guys know I’m sort of obsessed with vegan cashew sauces…of any kind? Seriously. They’re so versatile, totally delicious and require NO COOKING WHATSOEVER. You just throw all the ingredients into a high powered blender or food processor and 4 to 6 minutes later, you end up with the most glorious, creamy sauce, without all hip and thigh busting ingredients. Sure cashews are high in fat, but I feel much better about gobbling down more nutritious fat from nuts vs from butter, cream, cheese, etc….and so do my hips and thighs, lol. Seriously though, I slather this specific cilantro-garlic sauce on everything and anything I possibly can…it’s so addicting! Sometimes I swap the cilantro out for chives or green onion, for a creamy onion-y sauce. Also super addicting!
I highly urge everyone to make this dish…I haven’t been able to stop eating it all week! Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Roasted Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Cilantro-Garlic Cashew Sauce
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and pat dry
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed clean and pricked all over with a fork
cilantro-garlic cashew sauce
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 2 hours
- 1 cup water
- ½ bunch cilantro
- ½ lime, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Place chickpeas, oil, cumin, salt, and pepper into a mixing bowl and toss together. Spread in a single layer, onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast on the lower oven rack for about 20 minutes, shaking the baking sheet occasionally to avoid sticking.
- Remove from oven and set aside until ready to use.
- Place prepared sweet potatoes directly onto the top oven rack and roast until tender, 40-50 minutes (this should be done at the same time the chickpeas are put in the oven).
- While the chickpeas and sweet potatoes are roasting, drain cashews and place in a blender with remaining ingredients. Blend on high until sauce is completely smooth, about 2 to 5 minutes depending on blender. Generously season with salt and pepper and pulse a few times to fully incorporate seasonings.
- To serve: Split each sweet potato down the center and scoop chickpeas into each sweet potato. Drizzle each with the cashew sauce and serve, with more sauce on the side.
Did you make this recipe? We want to see!
tag @SpoonForkBacon and #SpoonForkBacon on Instagram
OMG I made this tonight and it was truly one of my favorite vegan dishes ever. So easy and simple to make and so flavorful. A few changes to the recipe where I inadvertently forgot the garlic, added juice a whole lime instead of 1/2 lime and added a half of a jalapeño , seeds and all. It was so delicious. Will be making this for Thanksgiving every year as well.
Yes! So glad you loved it! And your adjustments sound awesome!
This looks great! I’m gonna make this tonight
Made these last night as a side dish for NYE dinner. Delicious! We’re having round two tonight. I have a feeling this will become a staple in our house! That sauce!!!
Yay stef! So glad you guys made this + loved it! One of my faves lately! xx
I made this tonight with a salad and it was PERFECT. Satisfying and delicious, thank you!
Yay! So glad you enjoyed this!
Yay! So glad you enjoyed this one! It’s been on regulr rotation in my household for a month now!
Hi! Can you make this ahead of time and freeze?
This can definitely be made up to 3 days ahead of time, but I’m not sure about freezing bc I’ve never done that before!
I am going to make these for Christmas. I am assuming if you make them ahead of time (days) that you make cook the components and then put them together and warm in oven except for sauce?
how were they????
I was already into this recipe with the sweet potatoes, but love the creamy cashew sauce, love it too with chickpeas for a little extra protein, thank you for this recipe!
I love stuffed sweet potatoes…..made them w/ black bean chili the other night…such an easy weeknight meal.
Where do you get that pan in the photo? Is it vintage? I love it.
These sound incredible!!