A classic wintery dessert, this Honeycrisp Apple Tarte Tatin is a beauty. We flooded these honeycrisp apples with a caramel sauce and topped them with lightly whipped cream. I love how the whole apples look finished. The colors are so pretty, and it makes this dessert a gorgeous presentation for everybody who is about to partake. Make sure you flip it over on something with a rim because it does tend to get a little saucy. :) Enjoy!
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Honeycrisp Apple Tarte Tatin with Soft Whipped Cream
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ small lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (½ stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 8 small Honeycrisp apples, sliced in half lengthwise and cored
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed and sharp corners rounded out with a knife
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 425˚F.
- Place all caramel sauce ingredients, except butter, into a saucepan (with tall sides) and bring to a boil to dissolve sugar, over medium-high heat.
- Once sugar has dissolved continue to boil until a deep amber color forms, about 10 minutes.
- Remove melted sugar from heat and begin adding butter, a few pieces at a time, swirling the pan to incorporate (the mixture with bubble up quite a bit).
- Once all the butter has been added and mixture is smooth, pour sauce into a 9” cake pan.
- Arrange apple halves to fit snuggly over the sauce, cut-side up.
- Place puff pastry over pan and tuck sides around the edge of the pan.
- Place cake pan onto a baking sheet and transfer to oven.
- Bake tarte tatin for 20 to 25 minutes or until puff pastry has nicely browned.
- Remove from oven and allow tarte tatin to sit for 5 minutes.
- Place an inverted platter over the cake pan and very carefully flip tarte tatin over and remove the cake pan (you can knock the bottom of the cake pan a few times, once it’s flipped, to help release any apples that may have stuck).
- While tarte tatin cools make soft whipped cream. Place cream and sugar into a mixing bowl and whisk together until very soft peaks form.
- Slice tarte tatin and top with soft whipped cream. Serve.
- *Makes 1 (9”) Tarte