I am a fan of anything creamy that has chicken and a crust – like a delicious chicken pot pie. Don’t skimp on the bottom crust through! We made these super cute Creamy Chicken and Green Onion Hand Pie Sticks for you. These hand pie sticks have a really great proportion of crust to filling – and maybe even a little generous on the crust part. So if you’re a carb lover these are for you. These keep pretty well so you can make a bath for dinner and then have them for some lunches too! I love serving these with a super simple green salad on the side. It’s all you need! Enjoy these hand pie sticks :)
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Creamy Chicken and Green Onion Hand Pie Sticks
- 2 cooked, boneless skinless chicken breasts, shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 recipe cream cheese crust (divided into two discs and chilled)
- 1 ½ tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 425˚F
- Combine filling ingredients in a large mixing bowl and completely mix together. Set aside.
- To assemble: Roll 1 chilled dough out onto a lightly floured surface into a 13” x 9” rectangle and brush surface with egg wash.
- Scoop filling into a piping bag or resealable plastic bag and cut a ½ inch opening at the tip.
- Leaving a ½ inch border around the edge and beginning on the left (13 inch) edge, pipe 8 lines of filling, 2 inches apart.
- Roll other disc of dough to a 13”x 9” rectangle. Sprinkle sesame seeds over dough and using a rolling pin, gently embed sesame seeds into dough.
- Carefully lift and place sesame studded dough over filling topped dough and gently press down between filling and edge to seal.
- Slice to separate each hand pie stick and using the back of a fork, crimp edge of each stick.
- Transfer sticks to a parchment lined baking sheet, about 1 inch apart.
- Brush each stick with remaining egg wash and sprinkle with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Bake hand pie sticks in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or golden brown and cooked through.
- Allow savory hand pie sticks to cool, about 15 minutes, before serving.
Did you make this recipe? We want to see!
tag @SpoonForkBacon and #SpoonForkBacon on Instagram
Once baked, are these good cold? Looking for a make-ahead elegant picnic idea, or does the crust get soggy?
OMG–these are SO good! Of course, I can never leave a good thing on its own, so sauteed about 1/4 c diced onion and 1/2 c diced mushrooms to add to the cheese filling–both veggies losing a lot of volume on the way. How much chicken did you actually use–in my local supermarket, a boneless, skinless chicken breast varies between about 14-20 oz, so I used less than one, about 3/4 lb and it was still a tight fit for the pies–I had to roll the pastry really thin, 15×9, and got another pie out of it. The only place I actually see 4 oz chicken breasts these days are on those Omaha Steaks commercials. I might try these again with onion and green chilies–or Kalamata olives and a bit of sundried tomato. I think there are lots of potential combos. Thanks for a real family pleaser!
Can you use pre-made crust?
Sweet Heavens ! This is beautiful !
For the crust, do you use the panko bread crumbs??
Ah no, it’s actually shredded white cheddar sprinkled on top! Totally forgot to add that into the recipe! Will update soon!
Do you think these would freeze well? I’d like to make a bunch and freeze them, and then bake them when needed. Will it work? Thank you!
Yes!! These will freeze very well! :)
These sound so good! And the ingredients are totally simple too. Definitely on the list for dinner this weekend!
Yes! They’re also really good for on-the-go! :)
This makes me think of a delicious and portable chicken pot pie. Which, for the record, I am 100% on board with!