I love when I can add another low maintenance cake recipe to the arsenal. That would be this Almond and Honey Cornmeal Cake. No frosting, no layers, no fuss, but still a gorgeous cake fit for a dinner party. Cornmeal cakes are a favorite of mine personally, we also have these little strawberry cornmeal cakes you should peek at. The slivered almonds that cover the top of this cake make it look really rustic which I love, and then we took the cute factor up a notch and garnished with little sprigs of rosemary. Yum. Enjoy!
Hungry for more?
Almond and Honey Cornmeal Cake
- ¾ cup fine ground yellow cornmeal
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ cup almond paste
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons honey, divided
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced rosemary optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of 1 Meyer lemon
- 1 cup thinly sliced almonds
- rosemary sprigs, optional garnish
Recipe instruction visual controls:
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Lightly grease the bottom and sides of an 8” spring form pan and set aside.
- Pour cornmeal, flour, baking soda, and salt into a mixing bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl beat butter, using an electric mixer, until light and fluffy.
- Scrape down sides of bowl, add sugar beat together.
- Add almond paste and ¼ cup honey and continue to beat together until fully incorporated.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and continue to mix together.
- Stir half dry mixture into wet mixture, followed by milk, and then remaining dry mixture. Stir together until completely combined and no lumps are lefts.
- Scrape down sides of bowl and fold in rosemary (if using), vanilla and lemon zest into the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared spring form pan, spreading to create an even surface and transfer pan to a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle an even layer of almonds over cake, to cover completely. Cover spring form pan with foil and bake on center rack for about 40 minutes.
- Remove foil, lower temperature to 350 and continue to bake cake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until almonds have toasted and a wooden skewer comes out clean when inserted into center of the cake.
- Remove cake from oven, drizzle with 1 tablespoon honey and cool for at least 1 hour.
- Once cake has cooled, unmold from pan, drizzle with remaining honey, top with rosemary sprigs (if using), slice and serve.
- *Makes 1 (8 inch) cake