There is nothing better than a delicious comforting chicken pot pie recipe. I grew up eating chicken pot pies, and it’s such a comforting recipe to me. Today we have these Easy Skillet Chicken Pot Pies.
Traditionally there are more components to this recipe than I would like, so today we simplified it for you so we could trim out some time to make this recipe both easy, and also perfect for weeknight dinners.
Tips for making Easy Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
– Use leftover chicken breast or turkey if you have it! We buy rotisserie chicken a lot in our homes, and we love using that for our chicken pot pie filling.
– We use puff pastry for the top of our chicken pot pie and skip the bottom crust all together. While we absolutely love a classic pot pie with top and bottom crust, we love how easy it is to just throw on a puff pastry square at the end before it goes into the oven.
– You can freeze this filling in individual portions and then thaw them when you are ready!
If you love this Easy Skillet Chicken Pot Pie as much as we do check out this hand held version!
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Easy Skillet Chicken Pot Pies
Chicken Pot Pie Filling
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup yellow onion diced
- ⅓ cup carrot peeled and diced
- ⅓ cup celery diced
- 1 tbsp thyme minced
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- 1½ cups cooked and shredded chicken breast
- ½ cup frozen peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 puff pastry squares 4 to 5 inches each
- 1 egg plus 1 tablespoon of water beaten together
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrot and celery and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Add thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in stock, followed by milk and continue to stir until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, 3 to 4 minutes. Fold in chicken and peas. Adjust seasonings as needed.
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Scoop chicken mixture into individual skillets or baking dishes and top each with a square of puff pastry. Brush each square of puff pastry with egg wash.
- Place each skillet onto a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until puff
pastry has puffed and browned.
- Remove from oven, cool slightly and serve.
Did you make this recipe? We want to see!
tag @SpoonForkBacon and #SpoonForkBacon on Instagram
wow,awesome chicken pot pie recipe.this looks delicious.
It great. Thank you for your recipe
I love chicken pot pie. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I will try this recipe too.
another great recipe, thank you, love how these are served and the serving sizes themselves, chicken pot pie is one of my favorites, especially this time of year
This looks really tasty and worth preparing! I tried your recipe and it is so delicious, i would definitely recommend you to my friends. CakeBox