Hey guys! I’m currently in Amsterdam with the husband! We’re just here for a much needed vacation, and I’m so excited! We’re headed to Belgium next, specifically Ghent and Bruges, than we’re finishing our trip out with a final stop in Copenhagen, Denmark! If anyone has any recs on what to see and where to eat, I’d love to hear them!
Today we have a totally indulgent breakfast (but really anytime meal) and it’s totally an appropriate recipe for today, lol. This recipe is pretty over the top, but definitely worth it when the right mood hits. Plus #YOLO and #TREATYOSELF, right? :) I love a good poutine and our Breakfast Poutine with Hollandaise Sauce is one of the best ones yet, because it includes both french fries AND tater tots AND hollandaise sauce. It’ so good, especially in the middle of the night, just saying. Enjoy! xx, Jenny
Ingredients: 6 slices crisp cooked bacon, crumbled Directions:
Breakfast Poutine with Hollandaise Sauce
Serves 5 to 7
1/2 (28 ounce) package frozen tater tots
1/2 (28 ounce) package frozen French fries
3 egg yolks
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted (and clarified, if desired)
pinch cayenne pepper
1-3 tablespoons chicken stock, warmed (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 large eggs, beaten
salt and pepper to taste
8 ounces breakfast sausage, cooked and crumbled
8 ounces cheddar cheese curds
2 thinly sliced green onions
1. Preheat oven to 425˚F.
2. Spread tater tots and French fries, into a single layer on 2 baking sheets, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until tots and fries have browned and crisped.
3. For hollandaise sauce: Place egg yolks and lemon juice into a stainless steel or heatproof glass bowl and whisk together until the mixture doubles in volume. Place mixture over a pot with simmering water (make sure the water from the pot does not reach the bottom of your bowl) and begin whisking. While whisking, begin to add melted butter, in a slow and steady stream, until fully incorporated and the hollandaise is thick and smooth (the sauce should gradually thicken as you add the butter) Add cayenne and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and cover with plastic wrap, directly over the surface and set aside.
4. For scrambled eggs: Place a nonstick pan over medium to medium-low heat and melt butter. Add eggs and begin stirring with a rubber spatula. Continue to stir until small curds form and the eggs just set. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
5. To assemble: Toss together tots, fries, eggs, bacon, sausage, and cheese curds and spread onto a baking sheet. Broil pan for 1 minute or until curds melt.
6. Remove poutine from broiler, drizzle with hollandaise and finish with a sprinkle ofsliced green onions. Serve immediately.
6 slices crisp cooked bacon, crumbled