I love the amount of rain LA has been getting lately and I also love enjoying extra cozy meals when it gets all chilly and rainy so that’s why we have a big batch of this Shakshuka with White Beans and Spinach for you all today! This perfectly cozy and comforting dish is delightfully stewy and packed with tons of bright flavors. The white beans add a layer of creamy goodness to the dish, which go great with the combination of runny eggs against acidic tomato-y sauce. YUM.
While I love making this dish for brunch during the weekend, it makes such a delicious, quick and easy weeknight dinner. Whenever you do decide to whip this up, be sure to enjoy it with a healthy stack of grilled pita or a big chunk of thick and crusty baguette. Yum!! xx, Jenny
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to never miss a recipe.
Shakshuka with White Beans and Spinach
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or grapeseed oil
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon chile powder
- 3 heaping cups baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (15 ounce) can, drained white beans
- 5 large eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- shaved ricotta salata
- sliced chives
- Pour oil into a large skillet and place over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and garlic for 3 to 4 minutes or until onion become translucent.
- Add cumin, paprika, coriander, and chile powder and season with salt and pepper.
- Lower heat to medium and stir in spinach and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir tomato paste, crushed tomatoes and tomato puree to the mixture and continue to stir until sauce is smooth. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir beans into the skillet and season with salt and pepper.
- Crack each egg into a small ramekin, one at a time, and gently drop into the skillet, 1 inch apart. Cooke for 2 minutes.
- Cover and continue to cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until whites have set and yolks are still runny.
- Top with ricotta salata and chives and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and serve with grilled pita bread.