Fresh Shiitake Spring Rolls
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons sambal chile paste
- ½ serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon peeled and minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 2 ½ tablespoons tamari
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 24 Chamomile flowers
- 1 head of pink radicchio, leaves pulled apart
- 1 cup cooked cellophane noodles
- 1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ bunch mint leaves
- 12 (5”) rice paper wrappers
For dipping sauce: Place vinegar and sugar in a small pot and simmer until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. Stir in remaining ingredients and set aside.
For spring rolls: Place a skillet over medium-high heat and add oil. Sauté mushrooms for 3 to 4 minutes. Add tamari and sugar and stir together until most of the liquid evaporates. Remove from heat.
To assemble: Dip rice paper wrappers in hot water for 1 to 2 minutes until soft and pliable. Lay wrapper flat onto a very lightly oiled surface. Tuck each side in by about ½ inch so you have two straight sides. Lay 2 chamomile flowers, back side up in the center of the rice wrapper and lay a leaf of radicchio over the flowers. Place a small amount of the remaining ingredients into the wrapper and tightly roll until sealed. Repeat until all wrappers and filling ingredients have been used. Serve with dipping sauce.
Calories: 441kcalCarbohydrates: 91gProtein: 6gFat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 654mgPotassium: 243mgFiber: 3gSugar: 25gVitamin A: 2319IUVitamin C: 27mgCalcium: 35mgIron: 3mg