Chilaquiles is a traditional Mexican breakfast. This recipe is simple, delicious and takes just 30 minutes to make! Crispy fried tortilla chips are tossed and simmered with our smoky red sauce and topped with a fried egg!
- 3 tablespoons neutral oil
- ½ sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ½ cups crushed tomatoes
- 4 chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup queso fresco, crumbled
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- ½ bunch cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- hot sauce optional
Place oil in a heavy bottom skillet and place over medium-high heat.
Sauté onion and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and continue to sauté for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Pour mixture into a blender and add crushed tomatoes, chipotle peppers in adobe and stock. Blend until smooth.
Pour sauce back into skillet and simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
Raise heat of sauce to medium-high and bring to a boil about 3 minutes. Add tortilla chips, a handful at a time, folding gently to coat every chip before adding more.
Repeat until all chips have been added and evenly coated, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and gently fold together. Remove from heat and top with fried eggs.
Top with queso fresco, radishes, cilantro, and hot sauce. Serve immediately.
- *Makes 1 12” skillet
- For a crispier texture, remove sauce from heat, add chips and gently toss together until fully and evenly coated. Top with eggs and desired toppings. Serve.
- Make and Freeze Ahead: Chilaquiles should be made fresh overall, but the red sauce can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- When ready to serve, thaw sauce completely, in the refrigerator, before reheating and simmering or tossing with chips.
Serving: 4gCalories: 763kcalCarbohydrates: 74gProtein: 19gFat: 46gSaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 174mgSodium: 948mgPotassium: 806mgFiber: 9gSugar: 11gVitamin A: 1503IUVitamin C: 17mgCalcium: 321mgIron: 5mg