A simple, cozy and delicious recipe for Tortellini Soup. We load up our broth based soup with mini Italian turkey meatballs, hearty kale, diced sweet potato, and cheesy tortellini for a filling soup that's significant enough to serve as a dinner. It's one of our favorite winter soups that you can easily enjoy year round!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces hot or sweet Italian turkey sausage rolled into mini meatballs (about the size of a penny)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- ½ sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunch kale ribs removed and leaves torn
- 1 1/2 quarts unsalted chicken stock
- 24 pieces (fresh) store bought cheese tortellini
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Pour ½ tablespoon oil into a large pot over medium heat and add rolled sausage. Lightly sear on all sides for 1 to 2 minutes.
Transfer meatballs to a plate.
Add remaining oil to pot, followed by sweet potato and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes.
Add onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper and continue to sauté for another 4 to 5 minutes.
Add kale to pot and wilt for 1 minute.
Pour stock into pot, season with salt and pepper then simmer for about 10 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
Add sausage back to pot and continue to simmer for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Raise stove heat to medium-high and bring soup to a boil.
Add tortellini and boil for 3 to 4 minutes or until tortellini has just cooked through and vegetables are tender.
Ladle soup into bowls and top each with some grated Parmesan and cracked black pepper. Serve.
- *Makes about 2 1/2 quarts soup
Calories: 319kcalCarbohydrates: 25gProtein: 21gFat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 799mgPotassium: 721mgFiber: 3gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 9798IUVitamin C: 40mgCalcium: 158mgIron: 7mg