We love this Mongolian beef recipe. It's a quick, easy and delicious stir-fry dish of tender beef coated in a slightly sweet and savory sauce. We love to serve it over steamed rice!
- 2 New York Strip Steaks, thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- ⅓ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ⅓ cup water
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 green onions sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- steamed rice for serving
Season sliced steak with salt and pepper. Toss steak in cornstarch until fully and evenly coated. Set aside.
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoons oil. Add garlic and ginger and saute for 1 minutes. Add soy sauce, water and sugar and bring to a boil until sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes.
Pour sauce into a liquid measuring cup and set aside.
Place skillet back over heat and add remaining oil. Add steak and sear until evenly browned on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
Pour sauce back into skillet and toss together with meat. Allow sauce to thicken, 1 to 2 minutes.
Toss in green onion and continue to cook for 1 more minute until sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
Pour Mongolian beef over steamed rice and serve.
- The sauce in this dish can be made up to 5 days ahead of time. The meat can be sliced up to a day ahead of time.
- When ready to make the dish, toss beef in salt, pepper and cornstarch. Sear in skillet as directed.
- Warm the sauce in a saucepan for a few minutes before adding it to the seared meat. This will help to avoid the temperature dropping in the skillet, not allowing for quick and even cooking.
- The overall dish can be made up to 3 days ahead of time. When ready to serve, pour entire mixture into a large skillet and simmer over medium heat until warmed through, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Cool Mongolian beef completely before transferring into a freezer friendly container. Store in freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to use, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Pour mixture into a skillet and slowly reheat until just heated through.
Calories: 444kcalCarbohydrates: 36gProtein: 24gFat: 23gSaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 778mgPotassium: 403mgFiber: 1gSugar: 27gVitamin A: 77IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 48mgIron: 3mg