Pico De Gallo
A simple and delicious recipe for a super bright Pico De Gallo! The key is using the freshest, juicy, ripe tomatoes and balancing the flavors with other simple ingredients like diced onion, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, and loads of fresh lime juice! We love eating this salsa with tortilla chips, in tacos, on top of grilled fish, just to name a few!
Prep Time10 mins
Total Time10 mins
Course: Appetizer, condiment, Snack
Diet: Vegan, Vegetarian
- 1 pound ripe, seeded and diced roma tomatoes (about 4 large)
- 1/4 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 seeded and diced jalapeno
- 2 limes juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
**Recipe makes about 3/4 quart**
Key to the Best Pico De Gallo Ever!
There are a couple things that are important to creating the best pico de gallo you'll ever taste and they're so easy to achieve!
- Only use ripe tomatoes. That's right. Ripe tomatoes are the most juicy and flavorful and will produce the most amazing pico!
- Allow the mixture to sit (in the refrigerator) for a day. This isn't essential, but we think makes a huge difference in the quality of the end product. The juices and flavors will get a chance to merry together and produce a ridiculously delicious dish!
There are so many variations for pico de gallo, but some of our favorite things to do with this salsa fresca are outlined below!
- Add diced cucumber - Not only will this bulk up the overall pico, but it will also add even more fresh texture!
- Add diced jicama - Just like cucumber, jicama will add some nice crunch to the dish, as well as a very subtle and pleasant sweetness.
- Use red onion instead of yellow onion - If yellow onion is too harsh for your pallet, we recommend red onion for its mild flavor. Also, just a fun fact, but red onions contain more antioxidant compounds then yellow onions.
- Add some sliced chives or minced mint leaves to the mix - These herbs can either replace the cilantro (if you're not into cilantro) or be added with cilantro for an extra burst of herbacious goodness!
Calories: 25kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 5mg | Potassium: 224mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 672IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 1mg