Creamed Corn Recipe
The only creamed corn recipe you'll ever need and want to make! This quick, easy and mouthwatering recipe comes together in just 20 minutes and is the perfect side for some many dishes!
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 1/2 minced shallot
- 2 1/2 cups fresh corn (from about 4 ears) (can use thawed and drained frozen corn or 30 ounces of canned corn, drained and rinsed)
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
Place a pot over medium heat and melt 2 tablespoons butter.
Add shallots and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes
Add corn and continue to sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove corn mixture from skillet and set aside.
Place skillet back over heat and melt remaining butter.
Stir flour into butter and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, constantly stirring.
Stir half and half into mixture until no lumps remain. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper.
Add Parmesan and stir until mixture is smooth.
Stir corn and shallot mixture and sugar into half and half mixture and simmer for an additional 2 minutes until sugar dissolves. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as needed.
Remove creamed corn from heat and serve.
- This creamed corn recipe can be made up to 3 days ahead of time. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- To reheat: Pour contents into a saucepan and gently simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Gently simmering and stirring are both important to ensure the sauce doesn't separate.
- As the mixture heats up and begins to thicken add grated Parmesan, 1 teaspoon at a time, until fully melted and desired consistency has been reached.
- Adjust salt and pepper as needed and serve.
Although doable, I don't recommend freezing this recipe. The texture will be slightly off and it won't be as fresh in flavor.
If you really want or need to freeze this creamed corn recipe follow instructions below for best results:
- Cool creamed corn and place into a freezable plastic bag, removing as much air as possible, before sealing.
- Place bag in freezer for up to 3 months
- To reheat: Transfer bag to refrigerator and thaw.
- Strain 1/2 cup liquid and discard.
- Transfer remaining contents into a saucepan and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Once mixture has heated through, stir in an additional 1/3 cup half and half and continue to simmer.
- Stir in freshly grated Parmesan, 1 teaspoon at a time, until sauce has slightly thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper as needed.
Calories: 365kcalCarbohydrates: 29gProtein: 7gFat: 27gSaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 93mgPotassium: 373mgFiber: 2gSugar: 11gVitamin A: 948IUVitamin C: 7mgCalcium: 129mgIron: 1mg