Chow Mein Recipe
A simple and delicious Chow Mein Recipe! Make it in under 30 minutes for a perfect quick and easy weeknight meal!
chow mein sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
noodles and vegetables
- 8 ounces chow mein noodles (Chinese egg noodles)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 small thinly sliced white onion
- 2 small peeled and julienne carrots
- 1/4 head shredded green cabbage
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 thinly sliced green onions for garnish
Place a large skillet or wok over high heat.
Add oil to the hot skillet. Add onion, carrot, cabbage, and garlic and saute for 2 to 3 minutes, constantly stirring with a wooden spoon.
Add drained noodles and toss together. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, or until noodles begin to crisp around the edges.
Pour sauce over vegetables and noodles and toss together until evenly coated and fully absorbed, about 2 minutes.
Remove from heat, top with green onions and serve.
What does ‘chow mein’ mean? Chow mein translates to ‘stir fried noodles’.
How should leftovers be stored and for how long? Place leftovers in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days.
Can you freeze leftovers? Yes! Chow mein can be frozen, in an airtight container or resealable freezer bag, for up to 3 months.
What is the best way to reheat chow mein? Place a pan over medium-high heat and add a small amount of oil. Once pan is hot, add noodles and cook until heated through. If noodles are frozen, place container in the refrigerator and thaw overnight before cooking in pan.
- It’s important that the skillet or wok is very hot to ensure the noodles and vegetables don’t steam, which would create a gummy and soggy dish.
- It’s important that the noodles are soaked until just al dente to ensure they crisp up when being pan fried.
Calories: 478kcalCarbohydrates: 73gProtein: 14gFat: 15gSaturated Fat: 10gSodium: 1580mgPotassium: 333mgFiber: 8gSugar: 11gVitamin A: 6948IUVitamin C: 34mgCalcium: 61mgIron: 3mg