Baked Egg Boats
The original Baked Egg Boats! Delicious, fluffy quiche filling baked into a hollowed out baguette! It's simple, versatile breakfast perfection that can be taken on the go!
- 2 sourdough demi baguettes (each about 12"x 2.5" in size)
- 6 eggs
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces finely diced pancetta
- 4 ounces grated gruyere cheese divided
- 2 thinly sliced green onions
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cut a deep “V” through the tops of each baguette until about a ½ inch to the bottom and remove top. Un-stuff demi baguettes as much as possible, while keeping the shell of the baguettes intact. It's very important not to puncture through the crust while slicing the tops off and while un-stuffing. Set hollowed baguettes aside and discard the tops and removed stuffing.
Sprinkle about tablespoon of shredded cheese into the bottom of each hollowed baguette.
Whisk together eggs and cream, then stir in the remaining ingredients. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
Place baguettes onto a baking sheet and fill each with half the egg mixture. (the egg and cream will pour out faster than the filling "bits" so it's best to switch off pouring into each baguette to ensure each one get equal parts of everything in the egg mixture)
Transfer baking sheet to oven and bake for 35 to 30 minutes or until golden brown, puffed and eggs have set.
Remove baked egg boats from oven and cool for about 5 minutes. Cut each baguette into pieces and serve.
Our baked egg boats can be made up to 2 days ahead of time. Bake egg boats as per recipe instructions. Cool, then tightly wrap in foil and store in the refrigerator.
To reheat in oven, place foil wrapped egg boat into a 325˚F preheated oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until egg boat is heated through. Remove from oven, carefully unwrap from foil, slice and serve.
To reheat in microwave, unwrap egg boat from foil and wrap completely in a slightly damp paper towel. Heat for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes (depending on strength of microwave). Remove from microwave, carefully unwrap, slice, and serve.
Our baked egg boats can be made up to 2 months ahead of time. Bake egg boats as per recipe instructions. Cool, then tightly wrap in foil, place into a resealable freezer bag and store in the freezer.
To reheat in oven, place foil wrapped egg boat into a 350˚F preheated oven and bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until egg boat is heated through. Remove from oven, carefully unwrap from foil, slice and serve.
To reheat in microwave, unwrap egg boat from foil and wrap completely in a slightly damp paper towel. Heat for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes (depending on strength of microwave). Remove from microwave, carefully unwrap, slice, and serve.
Tips and Tricks for Baked Egg Boat Success
- Our preference is to use a sourdough baguette because the crust is usually thicker and heartier, which helps to keep the filling from leaking. If using a French baguette, just make sure it has a nice even crust.
- It's very important not to puncture through the crust while slicing the tops off and un-stuffing to prevent the filling from leaking out
- It's also important to evenly and thoroughly unstuff the baguette to ensure all the filling fits (you really just want to use the baguette as a 'crust' for the egg filling)
- Don't replace the cream with milk. Milk contains less fat and more water, and will effect the way the eggs set (sometimes it'll even prevent the eggs from setting at all). If you really don't want to add the small amount of cream or you don't have any, you can omit it all together. The texture of the filling will be not quite as creamy, but it will still be delicious.
- Carefully wrap baguette in foil, if filling hasn't set after 30 minutes (which really shouldn't be the case!), leaving the top open. This will prevent the baguette from over toasting and becoming hard.
- Save the baguette discards for later use! They can be dried out, blitzed in a food processor and used as homemade breadcrumbs.
Calories: 340kcalCarbohydrates: 22gProtein: 16gFat: 20gSaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 209mgSodium: 450mgPotassium: 162mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 651IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 260mgIron: 2mg