Shrimp shumai is a popular and delicious dim sum recipe that is easy to make at home. It's also a perfect recipe make head of time and freeze in batches!
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- ½ inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- ½ inch piece lemongrass, chopped
- ½ pound shrimp, peeled, cleaned and deveined
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon white pepper
- 24 square wonton wrappers
Place garlic, ginger and lemongrass in a food processor and pulse 6 to 8 times or until finely ground and well combined. Scrape down sides of bowl.
Dice shrimp and place half into the food processor with the remaining ingredients. Process until a smooth paste just comes together. Pour filling into a mixing bowl and fold in remaining shrimp.
Place ½ tablespoon of the mixture into the center of a wonton wrapper and wet the edges with a small amount of water.
Assemble: Bring all the sides into the center and press any excess wrapper down onto the sides to gently seal (the tops should still be exposed with the shrimp mixture). Flatten the top and place onto a baking sheet. Top each shumai with a piece of sliced green onion. Repeat until all the filling and wrappers have been used.
Fill base a pot with 2 inches of water. Top with steamer and line steamer with a layer of lettuce leaves and arrange shumai on top, 1 inch apart (this will be done in batches). Cover steamer with lid and place over medium-high heat. Steam shumai for 8 to 10 minutes or until shrimp has just cooked through.
Serve shu-mai hot with ponzu sauce or a mixture of soy sauce and sesame oil for dipping.
- *Makes 24
- To make ahead and freeze: Fill and form shrimp shumai as directed. Place uncooked shrimp shumai onto a parchment lined baking sheet, about 1/2 inch apart and place in freezer until fully frozen. Once fully frozen, transfer shumai to a resealable bag and store in freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to heat from frozen, follow instructions as directed and steam shumai from frozen, but add an additional 5 to 6 minutes of steaming.
Calories: 130kcalCarbohydrates: 18gProtein: 11gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 618mgPotassium: 55mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 69mgIron: 2mg