Loaded Baked Potato Soup
We've turned a loaded baked potato dinner into a cozy and delicious soup! Our Loaded Baked Potato Soup is perfect for chilly nights. It's also the perfect make ahead soup, for busy nights, that you can just warm up and top with as many or as few of your favorite baked potato toppings!
- 4 russet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), scrubbed clean
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 small diced shallot
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken stock (can use vegetable stock)
- ½ cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 strips crispy cooked bacon crumbled
- 1 tablespoon sliced chives
- 1/2 cup crispy onions or shallots, optional
Preheat oven to 350˚F. Prick potatoes all over with a fork and place directly onto center oven rack, 2 inches apart. Bake potatoes until fork tender, 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes.
Remove potatoes from oven and cool until no longer steaming. Peel potatoes and dice.
Place a large pot over medium heat and melt butter. Add shallots and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Add flour and continue to cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
Stir in milk and stock until no lumps remain and continue to simmer until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Stir in potatoes, season with salt and pepper and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes.
Pour soup into a blender, blend soup until smooth, about 2 minutes.
Pour soup back into pot and stir in sour cream and adjust seasonings. (If soup is too thick, stir in an extra ½ cup to cup of milk).
Ladle soup into bowls and top with a bunch of shredded cheese, crumbled bacon, sliced chives, and crispy shallots or onions, if using. Finish with more cracked black pepper and serve.
**Makes about 2 Quarts**
- To Bake Potatoes in Microwave: Prick holes throughout potatoes with a fork and wrap each potato with a damp paper towel. Place potatoes on a plate and microwave for 5 to 8 minutes. Times will vary depending on strength of individual microwave.
- Make Ahead: Store in an airtight container, in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days. To reheat: Pour soup into a pot and gently simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently, until heated through. Stir in additional milk, 1/2 cup at a time, to adjust consistency.
- To Freeze: Cool completely and pour into a resealable plastic bag. Lay soup flat until completely frozen. Freeze for up to 3 months. To thaw and reheat: Place frozen bag of soup under running water until thawed. Pour soup into pot and simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently, until heated through. Stir in additional milk, 1/2 cup at a time, to adjust consistency. Add more salt and pepper as needed.
Calories: 439kcalCarbohydrates: 31gProtein: 15gFat: 29gSaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 378mgPotassium: 677mgFiber: 2gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 756IUVitamin C: 7mgCalcium: 339mgIron: 1mg