Loaded BBQ Chicken Salad
Large, fresh and totally an entree type dish, this Loaded BBQ Chicken Salad is full of flavor, texture, really great for a group of people and takes only 30 minutes to throw together!
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup prepared bbq sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
bbq-yogurt ranch dressing
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced chives
- 2 tbsp minced parsley
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup prepared bbq sauce
- 1 romaine heart, shredded
- 1/2 head green cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 fresh corn on cobb, charred under broiler and kernels removed (cobbs discarded)
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1/2 jicama, peeled and diced
- 2 green onions, sliced on bias
Place large skillet over medium-high heat. Once skillet is hot add oil.
Generously season chicken thighs on both sides with salt and pepper.
Sear thighs for 3 to 4 minutes. Lower heat to medium and flip thighs. Continue to cook for an additional 5 to 6 minutes or until thighs have just cooked through.
Transfer thighs to a cutting board and allow them to rest for about 5 minutes. Chop chicken into bite sized pieces and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add bbq sauce andtoss together until well coated. Set aside.
Combine romaine and cabbage together in a large bowl and toss together. Transfer mixture to a platter.
Top greens with black beans, tomatoes, corn, red onion, jicama, and bbq chicken.
Sprinkle salad with sliced green onion. Serve with dressing.
- The dressing can be made up to 5 days ahead of time and stored in an airtight container, in the refrigerator, until ready to use.
- The chicken can be cooked, chopped and tossed in bbq sauce up to 2 days ahead of time.
- The salad itself can be built on a platter or in a large bowl 1 day ahead of time, tightly covered in plastic wrap, and stored in the refrigerator. If building the salad ahead of time the bbq chicken and dressing should be added right before serving to avoid the salad getting soggy.
Calories: 371kcalCarbohydrates: 50gProtein: 22gFat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 1369mgPotassium: 872mgFiber: 8gSugar: 31gVitamin A: 2333IUVitamin C: 47mgCalcium: 159mgIron: 3mg