The Big Veg Quinoa Burger
quick and easy thousand island dressing:
- ½ cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 ½ tablespoons finely diced pickles
- pinch smoked paprika
- 2 cups cooked and cooled red quinoa (about 2/3 cup dry)
- ¾ cup shredded white cheddar
- ¼ cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg plus 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 parsnip, peeled and grated
- 1 corn on cob, kernels removed
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons oat flour
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 pretzel buns (or sesame buns), split and toasted
- 4 slices American (or mild cheddar) cheese
- 4 to 8 leaves butter lettuce
- 12 to 16 pickle chips
For dressing: Place all ingredients into a small bowl and whisk together. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
For patties: Place all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir together until thoroughly combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Divide mixture into four equal amounts and form into patties.
Pour half of oil into a cast iron skillet or nonstick pan and place over medium-high heat. Add patties, two at a time and sear for 4 to 5 minutes.
Flip patties and continue to cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add cheese to each patty, 1 to 2 teaspoons of water and cover with lid for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until cheese melts. Remove cooked patties and repeat with remaining patties.
To assemble: Spread dressing onto each bun and top with quinoa patty. Add Top with lettuce, pickles and finally the bun tops. Gently press and serve.
Calories: 580kcalCarbohydrates: 46gProtein: 19gFat: 36gSaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 1586mgPotassium: 615mgFiber: 6gSugar: 12gVitamin A: 1440IUVitamin C: 11mgCalcium: 466mgIron: 3mg