Sweet and Tangy Barbecue Sauce
- 5 strips bacon, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 ½ cups ketchup
- 1 ½ cups tomato sauce
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup molasses
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dry mustard
- 2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt and pepper to taste
Sauté bacon in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until crispy and browned, about 5 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and drain all but 2 tablespoons of fat from pan.
Add oil to pan and place back over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in thyme and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
Add the cooked bacon back into the pan followed by the remaining sauce ingredients and stir until fully combined.
Turn heat down to medium-low and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour sauce into a blender and puree until smooth or desired consistency has been achieved.
- *Makes 2 quarts barbecue sauce
Calories: 153kcalCarbohydrates: 25gProtein: 2gFat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 384mgPotassium: 394mgFiber: 1gSugar: 22gVitamin A: 375IUVitamin C: 6mgCalcium: 54mgIron: 2mg