- 2 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¾ cup red wine full flavored, fruity/smoky red wine of your choice
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced marjoram
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced thyme
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
Pour oil into a medium pot and place over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Add garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
Deglaze the pan with wine and simmer until the liquid has reduced by ½.
Stir in remaining ingredients and lower heat to medium-low. Simmer sauce for 30 minutes and adjust seasonings.
Pour sauce into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour sauce back into the pot and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve or can until ready to use.
Calories: 536kcalCarbohydrates: 22gProtein: 3gFat: 35gSaturated Fat: 5gSodium: 17mgPotassium: 492mgFiber: 3gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 333IUVitamin C: 24mgCalcium: 95mgIron: 3mg